The SIMATIC PCS 7 process control system is a significant component of Totally Integrated Automation (TIA), the unique basis offered by Siemens for uniform and customized automation in all sectors of the production, process and hybrid industries.
Using TIA, Siemens is the only company able to offer uniform automation technology on one single platform for all applications of process automation, starting with input logistics, covering production or primary processes as well as downstream
(secondary) processes, up to output logistics. This is suitable for optimization of all operating sequences of an entire company, i.e. from the ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) level and MES (Management Execution System) level to the control level, right
down to the field level.
Totally Integrated Automation with SIMATIC PCS 7
Compatibility of further developments is guaranteed within TIA. This also guarantees that the company's investments have a secure future, and allows the company to modernize and expand the plants throughout the complete lifecycle.
Integrated in a holistic automation solution for a production site, automation of the primary processes is the prime task of SIMATIC PCS 7. On the other hand, secondary processes (e.g. filling, packaging) or input/output logistics (e.g. raw material distribution, storage) are frequently implemented using the PLC-based or PC-based components of SIMATIC.
The advantages of Totally Integrated Automation, in particular the uniform data management, communication and
configuration, are already evident during planning and engineering, but also during installation and commissioning,
everyday operation as well as maintenance, repairs and modernization.
Integrated data management
Uniform data management means that all software components access a common database. Within a project, inputs and modifications are therefore only necessary at one point. This reduces the work required, and simultaneously avoids potential faults. Once symbolic identifications have been introduced, they are understood by every software component. Data consistency is also guaranteed even if several persons are working simultaneously on a project. Parameters defined in the engineering system can be transferred beyond the network limits down to sensors, actuators or drives in the field.
Uniform communication from the corporate management level down to the field level is based on internationally recognized standards such as Industrial Ethernet, PROFIBUS or FOUNDATION Fieldbus, and also supports the global flow of information via the Internet. Since the hardware and software components involved also use these communications mechanisms, connections are extremely easy to configure, also cross-system or over different networks.
The use of an engineering system with a uniform and matched range of tools minimizes the configuration overhead.
The engineering tools for the application software, the hardware components and the communications functions can be called from a central project manager (SIMATIC Manager). This is also the basic application for creation, management, saving and documentation of a project. The SIMATIC PCS 7 Advanced Engineering System expands the functionality for plant configuration. It acts as a link between the standard engineering tools of the engineering
system and the tools used for basic and detailed planning, e.g. EPlan, ELCAD or SmartPlant.
Essential system properties and functions
In order to survive on a global market which is characterized by fierce competition and pricing pressures, competitors
are required to constantly increase their productivity and flexibility. This simultaneously places high demands on the automation technology, which in turn lead to an increasing fusion with information technology.
Bearing in mind these requirements, a modern process control system such as SIMATIC PCS 7 offers clear advantages since it provides a horizontally and vertically uniform system platform which is future-oriented and can also be expanded flexibly in the context of TIA.
SIMATIC PCS 7 combines high performance with exceptional system properties and functions such as:
• Simple and reliable process control
• User-friendly operation and visualization, also using the Internet
• Powerful, fast and consistent systemwide engineering
• System-wide online modifications
• System openness at all levels
• Flexibility and scalability
• Redundancy at all levels, flexible and modular
• Extensive fieldbus integration
• Remote I/O systems for different demand profiles
• Process device management and diagnostics with comprehensive device support
• Asset management of the process related plant, in particular the control technology (diagnostics, preventive maintenance, and repairs)
• Flexible solutions for batch processes
• Efficient control of material transport
• Homogenous, integrated safety technology
• Advanced Process Control for process optimization
• Telecontrol center can be integrated for remote plant sections
• Energy management
• Advanced IT security concept for safeguarding the I&C system
• OPC-based evaluation and management of process data
• Direct interfacing to IT systems All these are ideal requirements for cost effective implementation and economic
operation of process control plants.
The homogenous and uniform SIMATIC PCS 7 process control system with its unique scalable architecture and outstanding system characteristics is an ideal basis for cost-effective implementation and economic operation of process control plants. Specifically expanded by the seamless integration of additional functions, SIMATIC PCS 7 offers far more than a typical process control system. This is reflected in the seven advantages of the SIMATIC PCS 7 process control system:
• Reduction of total cost of ownership through integration
• High performance and quality coupled with efficient engineering, reliability, and availability
• Flexibility and scalability – from small laboratory systems to large plant networks
• Protected investment thanks to incremental modernization of Siemens systems and third-party systems
• Safety & security – integrated safety technology and comprehensive industrial security for reliable protection of personnel and environment, as well as process and plant
• Continuous technological innovations – from the world's leading provider of automation technology
• Global Network of Experts – local service and support through a global network of experts and authorized partners
Flexibility and scalability
The architecture of the SIMATIC PCS 7 Process Control System is designed in such a manner that instrumentation
and control can be configured in accordance with customer requirements and optimally matched to the dimensions of the plant. SIMATIC PCS 7 instrumentation and control can be subsequently expanded or reconfigured with ease if there is an increase in capacity or a technological modification. Provision of expensive reserve capacity is unnecessary. Various versions of the SIMATIC PCS 7 BOX compact system are suitable as low-cost starter solutions in the lower performance range, and are available as all-in-one systems equipped with functionalities for automation, HMI, and engineering. With approximately 60 tags, these systems represent the lower end of the scale. Scalability extends up to the distributed multi-user system in client/server architecture with up to 60 000 tags for automation of a very large production facility, or of a plant network at one production location. This corresponds approximately to a scale ranging from 100 to 120 000 I/Os.
Open for the future
SIMATIC PCS 7 is based on modular hardware and software components, which are perfectly matched to one another due to their conformance with TIA. These components can be expanded and innovated seamlessly and with little effort and are open for the future via long-term stable interfaces. This makes long-term protection of customer investments possible, despite the fast pace of innovation and short product cycles. SIMATIC PCS 7 consistently applies new, powerful technologies together with internationally established industrial standards such as IEC, XML, PROFIBUS, Ethernet Gigabit technology, TCP/IP, OPC, ISA-88 or ISA-95, just to mention a few.
Openness with SIMATIC PCS 7 covers all levels, and equally applies to automation systems and process I/Os as to industrial communications networks, operator systems or engineering systems. It comprises not only system architecture and communication, but also the programming and data exchange interfaces for user programs and planning systems. SIMATIC PCS 7 can therefore also be combined with components from other vendors, and integrated in existing infrastructures.